Monday, January 7, 2008

graceful outsider

i know she meant well. I know he meant well. it's just never easy to prepare yourself for some conversations. the days aren't predictable where i may be a walking disaster seconds from exploding into tears. I have been so sobered by this journey in so many ways. i never realized how many conversations happen where the majority is the right or only voice, how many great, natural dialogues exclude consciousness of any marginalized group that may be present. 

maybe you are single or divorced, maybe poor or stressed, maybe you don't actually care about sports (i know this one is unbelievable) or politics, maybe you are infertile, maybe you aren't southern, BUT you must endure conversation after conversation that assume you fit into the majority, the happily married fertile family that cheers for Carolina and eats fried green tomatoes and grits and buys Vera Bradley bags in their stress free 3 figure salary family. 

what i have realized isn't that we shouldn't say nothing to make sure and offend no one. we shouldn't read up daily on the PC language. we shouldn't only have conversations that include the majority.  i have been so humbled to realize that i should be more aware and available to who is around me. I should be more bold and willing to look them in the eye too, to realize even if we are in the middle of a conversation on marriage, that i could risk asking the single person their thoughts too. they aren't invisible and have so much to contribute. they dream too. 

while volunteering in sunday school i was asked if had children. i answered no. moments later i said but we are actually in the adoption process now. the person then asked me, "by choice?" in a bit of confusion but also trust in their good nature, i answered, "yes, and we aren't able to have children." she then proceeded to tell me two stories, back to back of people she knew who adopted and then by a miracle got pregnant. I appreciated her stories and her kind heart to relate with me. i just felt oddly pricked and unknown as i seem to feel CONSTANTLY in this season. Because here's the deal - We choose to adopt. They will be our children. They are not less than or second best. We in fact as parents are not less than. I am not waiting to get pregnant, I am waiting to visit an orphanage in Peru and meet our child.  As weird as it may sound, i do not prefer the miracle of pregnancy at this present time, i prefer the miracle of adoption. 

I have two other examples from yesterday alone. you don't even want to hear them, you will feel bad for these persons. 

we can't know everything when we are talking to friends or strangers. we can't understand a million world views. we can't pretend to be in a circumstance. we also can't think the world is out to get us with some ignorant conversations or with the silence. we CAN look around us, we can RISK asking more questions, talking less, trying to recognize and appreciate difference. I have never been in an "out" group in my entire life and i want to be here gracefully. I am motivated to try this. 

5 comments:

Alicia Bradley said...

Ashley, I know you don't know me personally. I used to work with your sister-in-law, Anna, at Covenant. I followed a link to your blog through her blog.

I just wanted to thank you for being vulnerable and sharing you heart about being an "outsider."

I, too, am an outsider. My husband and I have not been able to conceive a child, and probably will not be able to because of a history of cancer. I, too, have had encountered many interesting comments by good intentioned people.

After many tears and conversations with my Lord, I came to accept the path He laid out for me several years ago. I now don't even blink when someone asks if I have children. I even smile, when I say "no". This throws them off, because they expect me to be in deep grief, and they try to console me. It's like they are waiting for me to cry through my words.

What they don't realize is that I am not ashamed of being childless, and will not apologize for my Lord's will. I have learned more about Christ because of my experiences and my relationship with Him has grown expentenially.

What an amazing gift we get to receive through adoption. I eagerly await what the Lord had before me in the next few years, as the doors of adoption open for my husband and I (they don't allow you to adopt soon after cancer.)

Many blessings to you and Stephen in the coming months. You have a sister in Christ praying for you.

Take care, Alicia Bradley

Arden Elizabeth said...

Honey, you know my feelings and aches and pains on this one. I never in my life thought I'd be the outsider in the marriage category. I am made for marriage. I made to be a wife. I am not made to climb a corporate ladder and give a rat's behind what BofA or Wachovia feels about any one thing or another.

That's what I thought anyway.

I am made to be much more than I ever thought possible. I am made to be a strong career woman who will one day love a man for all that he was/is/will be. But, I'm also made to look at the world around me and go, you know what, I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me. Not just what I had in mind, but what He has in mind too.

Children are children and made to be loved. Who cares if you grew them for 9 months? You're growing them for the rest of their lives and truly - that is what matters.

I love you and welcome you to the outsider world. It's truly where life begins.

Anonymous said...

thanks so much ash for your honesty. your post and the other two comments have really moved me...to tears.
i love you so much and wish so badly that i could just hang out with you for a day!!
you are so right about adoption being such a miracle...what an unbelivable blessing for you and for little O. gosh...i am just overwhelmed at how god works!!
"He streghtens us as we wait"
love,
mal

Amy said...

kik,
Once again you have me crying in mid day. Could you stop that. Just kidding . I love the Christ i see and hear in you.

Anna said...

no words. you're opening my eyes and expanding my heart. thanks for being so honest. aea.